top of page



Apply to study in Canada as an international student, extend your study permit and find out about working while you study or after you graduate.
In Canada, each province and territory are in charge of their own education system and each post-secondary school has its own set of rules on how to apply, including the level of English or French you need to be accepted.

Study Permit Application (excerpt from the permit)

International Students has 2 options to apply for Study Permit:
    1. Study Permit Eligibility
    -the study permit is a document issued that allows foreign national to study at designated learning institution (DLI) in Canada. Student must apply before travelling to Canada. Your study permit is not a visa. You may also need a visitor visa or electronic travel authorization (eTA).
    2. Requirements on how to obtain study permit can be found to this webpage: (

As per current IRCC guidelines, international students graduating from licensed programs at a Private Career College in Alberta are not eligible for Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Responsibilities while studying in Canada

While studying in Canada you must:
• make progress towards completing your program
• respect any conditions listed on your study permit
• stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements and
• leave Canada when your permit expires

Depending on your case, there may be conditions on your study permit such as:

• if you’re allowed to work in Canada
• if you’re allowed to travel within Canada
• the date you must stop studying

Changing Fee Status from International to Domestic

In certain very specific circumstances (e.g. student on paternal work permit or submission of specific Permanent Residency status), students can request a change from international student fee status to domestic category. For fee changes to be approved and take affect all required documentation must be submitted prior to the start of the term/program. If documents are received partway through a semester, changes can only be made to future terms and not retroactive.


Working in Canda

After you graduate from your program of studies, you may be able to work temporarily or even live permanently in Canada. To work in Canada after you graduate, you need a work permit. The work experience you gain while working may help you qualify for permanent residence. (

International students can work in Canada for only a certain number of hours. Visit the website on www.cic,>helpcentre>answers. Our resume making workshop will help you on making a presentable resume for your career. The College has been using the CIWA-Calgary Immigrant Women’s Association ( for this workshop.

Health Insurance- Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan & Blue Cross

The College will help International students apply for the Health Care Insurance and Blue Cross. For more information, visit their website at: 
All students require health coverage. Alberta Health Care is available to International students who have valid student permit and who are in Alberta for at least one year. It is important to apply for coverage within 3 months before arrival. Download forms at: (


bottom of page